You've probably heard about the incredible potential of the 80/20 rule to boost audience engagement and drive growth for your business through social media. But what exactly is this rule, and how can you integrate it into your social media strategy? We have the answers to help you captivate your audience, maximize revenue, and foster authentic connections.
The 80/20 rule is a simple yet powerful concept. It suggests that 80% of your social media content should focus on providing value to your audience — whether educational, entertaining, or problem-solving. Only the remaining 20% should be explicitly promotional.
Social media users don't log in to see several advertisements. They seek connection, entertainment, inspiration, and valuable information that enhances their lives. A report by Global Web Index reveals that the primary reason for using social media is to find "funny and entertaining" content, followed by the desire to "fill up spare time." By delivering the content your audience craves, you give them a compelling reason to follow your brand.
Moreover, offering helpful content allows you to provide something of value to your audience without constantly pushing them to buy. This establishes a lasting relationship, ensuring they remain loyal to your brand as their needs evolve.
But does the 80/20 rule impact revenue generation? Absolutely! You create a sense of exclusivity by reserving only 20% of your posts for promotional content. Users who encounter your promotional messages are more likely to act. If every other post is a sales pitch, it becomes mundane, and your audience will start tuning it out.
Around 80% of your social media content should consist of practical, engaging, and relevant posts. These can be a mix of curated and original content. Focus on creating or discovering third-party content that aligns with your industry, location, and audience's interests. However, refrain from overtly promoting your brand. While you can still feature product images or links, shift the spotlight onto adding value to your users' lives. Educate, entertain, and provide valuable information while subtly showcasing your brand.
Examples of helpful social media posts include:
Promotional posts should account for only 20% of your content. These posts should drive consumer action and feature precise call-to-action phrases like "learn more" or "shop now."
Examples of promotional social media posts include:
To effectively implement the 80/20 rule, leverage social media scheduling tools or through-channel marketing automation platforms. These tools enable you to visualize your content calendar and ensure the right balance between helpful and promotional posts. You can designate specific days or slots for each content type. For instance, if you post 20 times per month, aim for around 16 helpful posts and reserve four places for promotional content.
Integrating RSS feeds into your social media scheduling tool simplifies the process of discovering valuable content aligned with your audience's needs. Seek out news outlets producing compelling lifestyle pieces that resonate with your product offerings and curate them for your social media feeds.
Look no further! Reach out to BrandMuscle and discover how our industry-leading software and services can amplify your social media marketing efforts and deliver scalable impact. Let's unleash the true potential of your brand together.
Book a demo to get started.